Parent FAQs about COVID-19
Will students have to make up these days?
During this period, students will participate in Digital/Distance Learning Days and will continue with their learning. The State Superintendent announced on March 24 that state-level attendance-related consequences including make-up day requirements were suspended.
How long will students be out?
At this point, decisions have been made regarding March 16- April 10. Additional information will follow as we receive local and state guidance.
When can I pick up my child’s work if we do not have a device or internet?
Each school has a packet pickup option. For more information, contact the individual school.
My child has medication with the School Nurse that I need to pick up. How can I get this?
Please contact the school designee at each school to set up a time to come pick the medication up.
•Harper: Mr. Hugans 229-225-2622 email@example.com
•Scott: Mr. Beaty 229-225-2631 firstname.lastname@example.org
•Jerger: Mrs. Newman 229-225-2625 email@example.com
•MPMS: Mr. Davenport 229-225-2628 firstname.lastname@example.org
•Scholars Academy: Ms. Wallace 229-228-3397 email@example.com
•Thomasville High: Dr. Norfleet 229-225-2634 firstname.lastname@example.org
What about athletics, extracurriculars, field trips, and meetings?
All are canceled from March 16-April 10.
What about Spring Break?
Spring Break is April 6-10.
Will I be able to reach my child’s teacher or principal?
Yes. Teachers and principals will be monitoring their email communication.
What is being done to clean schools and buses?
Custodial Services will be conducting a deep and thorough cleaning of all schools and buses using a coronavirus-approved cleaner.
Will students receive meals during this time period?
Curbside meals are being served at Scott Elementary School and Harper Elementary School Cafeterias between 11AM and 1PM. There will also be hot lunches and grab & go breakfast available at several delivery points:
Eastside Church(11:00-11:20 AM)
St. Luke Church(11:30-11:50 AM)
Douglass Gym(12:00-12:20 PM)
Abbey Lake Apartments(11:00-11:20 AM)
Varnedoe Area (National Guard)(12:10-12:30PM)
11AM - 11:45AM: On-site
Wood Valley Apartments
11AM - 12PM: On-site
Villa North Apartments
11:30AM - 12PM: On-site
Normal Park Apartments
Will AP/Milestones dates be adjusted?
On March 20, State Superintendent Richard Woods announced that the state assessments would not be taking place this year. College Board released on March 20 that AP exams will be taking place online and that students can begin taking them now. Information on AP exams can be found here.
What should I do if I think I may have been exposed to COVID-19?
- Stay home.
- Call your healthcare provider if:
- You feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
- You have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19.
- You recently traveled from an area with an ongoing spread of COVID-19.
- Follow guidelines from the CDC that can be found here.
What actions can staff and students take to prevent the spread of viruses?
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you or your child are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
How will updates be communicated?
Updates regarding school operations will be provided via email, social media and the TCS website at https://www.tcitys.org/